Zululand - South Africa

Folks,

  Finally got out of Eshowe - a very nice place, and a rousing sendoff
with the third (now official) shebeen trip. We decided that it took
only three minutes this time to go from closed shop to a rocking party.
This time we took the president of Rotary, who I am sure was very
glad nobody was taking pictures as he danced ...

Up the Natal coast, to Amazulu lodge, another backpackers lodge near
St Lucia, a wetlands conservation area on the coast. The golf club
bar had someone there to take me to the Dungeon - a vast underground
disco - mainly, but not exclusively, white. An extraordinary find in
such a remote part of Natal - with no expense spared, and live music,
though it was all cover songs from the seventies - the staple diet
of White South African Music.

St Lucia is a seaside resort town, full of motels at prices I did
not want to pay. However, lunch was very nice, and the scenery
magnificent. They also had a good line in well-made african wooden
toys, of Taxis, Buses, aeroplanes and even motorcycles.

Another 150Km (at 11,000 total this trip) found me at Pongola, a
border town with Swaziland, growing sugar. I stayed at the rundown
Pongola Hotel, and resisted the temptation to steal the Hotel
towels as a souvenier. The bar there was almost closed, but the
closing crew took me to the Why Not disco, another huge, black,
disco, with crummy music and great atmosphere.

Cheers,      Andy!